Our Sayville Family Eye Care in New York Treats Many Common Eye Conditions
When you need optometry services, you want professional care in a friendly atmosphere with eye doctors that understand your unique needs. Eye care can range from standard vision correction to more complex treatment of eye conditions. At Sayville Family Eye Care in Sayville, NY, we provide eye care services for many common eye conditions and diseases.
Common Eye Conditions
- Refractive errors such as nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism affect a large percentage of the population and can generally be helped with eyeglasses, contacts or LASIK eye surgery.
- The most common eye infection that eye professionals see is conjunctivitis, commonly known as “pink eye.”
- Keratoconus is a condition that causes the cornea of eye to develop a cone-like shape, which distorts vision.
- More serious eye conditions occur with aging, such as cataracts, glaucoma and macular degeneration. These eye conditions require ongoing monitoring and treatment to preserve vision.
- Diabetics may have special eye problems, due to high blood sugar that affects the structures of the eyes.
Treatment of Common Eye Conditions
Your Sayville optometrist utilizes state-of-the-art equipment to detect and monitor many eye conditions and can provide treatment for vision problems and many common eye diseases. Antibiotic drops or ointments can eliminate eye infections. Keratoconus may require eye drops or special contact lenses to improve vision. Cataracts worsen over time and should be monitored carefully to determine when surgery should be scheduled to remove the clouded lens and insert an artificial lens for clearer vision. Glaucoma requires regular use of eye drops to reduce ocular pressure. Individuals with macular degeneration may require eye drops, surgery or the use of nutritional supplements to slow the progress of the disease and maintain their vision.
Dry Eye Syndrome Treatment
Problems with dry eyes are becoming a common problem among individuals who work on computers throughout the day. These workers often experience itchy, blurriness, a feeling of something in the eye, eye fatigue and sensitivity to light. A number of treatments are available to relieve this condition. Over-the-counter eye drops can help with minor dry eye problems. However, for more severe cases, prescription eye drops may be needed. Small devices, known as punctual plugs, can be inserted into the eyes to prevent drainage of eye moisture. Meibomian gland dysfunction may require treatment with drops or creams, as well as warm compresses to stimulate oil production to relieve dry eyes.
Contact Sayville Family Eye Care in Sayville, NY, for Professional Eye Care Services
Dr. Minucci and Dr. DiSanto are dedicated optometry professionals who provide a full range of vision care services for their patients in Sayville, NY and surrounding communities. Call Sayville Family EyeCare today at (631) 589-1850 for an appointment to learn more about eye conditions and current treatments that can help you see clearly throughout your life.